Eight Dead in Texas Shooting

CBS Dallas/Fort Worth reports that eight people are dead, including the suspect, following a shooting at a Plano, Texas home Sunday evening.

According to police, the suspect was shot dead after a law enforcement officer heard gunshots from outside the home, causing him to enter the house. The officer observed several victims before engaging the suspect.

Two other victims were wounded in the shooting.

Please visit the above link to read more.

Police: Remains Identified as 17-Year-Old Missouri Woman Missing Since 2007

Bones discovered last April in a rural area of Missouri have been identified as those of 17-year-old Kara Kopetsky, who vanished in May 2007.

Kopetsky’s skull was found in a wooded area near Belton the day after a mushroom hunter discovered the remains of another missing young Missouri woman, Jessica Runions. Both women have been linked to 27-year-old Kylr Yust, who pleaded not guilty to burning Runions’ car in September 2016. Yust has not been formally charged in either death.

I spoke with Kara Kopetsky’s mother, Rhonda Beckford, about her disappearance last year. That interview is available here.

Please visit CBSNews.com at this link to read more.

13 Dead, Over 130 Injured in Barcelona Terror Attack (Updated)

Thirteen people are dead and over 130 more injured following a terror attack yesterday in Barcelona, Spain, reports CBSNews.com.

A van barrelling down Barcelona’s Las Ramblas district was responsible for the carnage that unfolded on the busy pedestrian street. While the driver of the vehicle remains on the run, two suspects connected to the attack have reportedly been arrested.

Spanish police said late Thursday that they have killed several people in Cambrils in a second alleged terror attempt.

According to police, the van attack is connected to an explosion that occurred south of Barcelona Wednesday night in which one person was killed and several more injured.

Terror group ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Please visit the above link to read more.

(Update: The Daily Beast reports that the suspected driver of the van in the Barcelona attack, Younes Abouyaaqoub, was shot and killed by police on Monday.  Abouyaaqoub was reportedly wearing an apparent bomb belt at the time of the shooting)

O.J. Simpson Granted Parole By Nevada Board

(Photo Credit: Associated Press)

A Nevada legal board yesterday decided to grant parole to former football superstar O.J. Simpson, who was convicted in 2008 on multiple counts including assault, kidnapping and robbery following a bungled attempt in a Las Vegas hotel room to retrieve sports memorabilia he claimed had been stolen from him.
Four parole commissioners unanimously voted to release Simpson from prison during the hour-plus long nationally televised hearing, citing the former gridiron great’s low risk of re-offending and release plans, among other factors.

Simpson could be released as early as October 1, when he will have served the minimum of his nine-to-33-year sentence.

Simpson, of course, was acquitted in the double-homicide of his former wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and Ronald Goldman in 1995.

Please visit the National Post here to read more.

Body of Missing Texas Teen Found in Landfill

CBSNews.com reports that the body of missing teenager Kaytlynn Cargill was discovered in a Bedford, Texas landfill this past Wednesday.

Cargill, 14, was last seen walking her dog on the evening of June 19.

Bedford Police Chief Jeff Gibson said a cause of death has yet to be determined and authorities do not have a suspect or person of interest in the case.

Please visit the above link to read more.

Seven Dead, Scores Wounded in London Terror Incident

Seven people are dead and dozens more injured following a terror attack in London, England yesterday, reports the BBC.

The rampage began at approximately 22:00 BST when a white van began hitting pedestrians on London Bridge. Three men wearing fake bomb vests exited the vehicle and proceeded to stab people in nearby Borough Market, an area known for its bars and restaurants.

The three male attackers were eventually shot dead by police.

Please visit the above link to read more.

 

Eight Dead in Mississippi Shooting Spree, Suspect in Custody

(Willie Godbolt being arrested on May 29, 2017. Photo credit: Therese Apel/The Clarion-Ledger via AP)

CTV News reports that a Mississippi man was arrested this morning and charged with murdering eight people Saturday night, including his mother-in-law and a sheriff’s deputy, over an alleged domestic dispute involving his children.

35-year-old Willie Godbolt is accused of shooting seven family members to death as well as the police officer in a rampage which spanned three homes.

Authorities offered no motive for the crimes, but said prosecutors intend to charge Godbolt with murder. The suspect was hospitalized in good condition after being shot himself.

Please visit the above link to read more.